May 4, 2009

rest in power manong al



A Poem for the Sky

Today I shall stand at the corner of 14th and Broadway,
Give passers-by poems tied in gold satin ribbons,
Tack them onto neighborhood bulletin boards
And lampposts. Today I shall fold poems into parking lots
Beneath each windshield wiper blade, and
Tape them up in the bathroom stalls of the local dives.
Today I shall write poems on bright strips of paper,
Set airplane and origami crane poems loose in the wind,
Weave them with daisies into chain link fences,
Slip them into glossy envelopes and place them
In the mailboxes of whole city blocks.
Today I shall tag up on pool hall walls with a fat black marker
In my fist, and carve poems into park benches
Overlooking the lake. Today I shall set paper boat poems
Afloat in rain puddles and sewer drains.

Because you said I should take it to the world.
Because poetry is arrival. Because I am here.

(2002)

No comments: